Saturday, July 26, 2008

T-storms!

When someone moves from CA - especially from NorCal - to the east coast, one of the things that changes drastically is the type(s) of weather you encounter. SF especially, has its own anomalous weather patterns that are much different from the rest of the bay area. In the city, the trapped fog coming in from the Pacific Ocean blankets every cubic inch of air, making it impossible see 10 feet in front of you, let alone street signs, restaurant logos etc., while the in Marin or the East Bay it will be sunny and clear. Most of the time in the SF and the rest of the bay area - fog excluded - it is extremely dry and it definitely does not rain much at all. This year was especially bad.
Don't worry, this is leading to my point:
Having finally entered into lower gulf coast climes, and especially back into FL summer weather patterns I have been able to experience some incredible summer thunder storms. It has been quite a while since finding myself listening to the clapping of huge rain drops falling on the roof and the leaves of nearby trees and listening to the crackle of thunder just before the loud "CLAP" and rumble that sends dogs scurrying to safer places. My first re-introduction was when I got to drive through driving rain and even some hail on my way into town. It was pretty sketchy driving through 8 in. of water on I95 and hoping the brakes still worked after 20 minutes of non stop puddle. Check out the video. I have, however also been lucky to now enjoy several great shows under the safety of my folks back porch. Cousteau has gotten pretty used to the sounds now and has enjoyed chillin', curled up next to me on the patio couch.
All said, I sure love the sweet wet smell after a good storm and the cool breeze that makes summer here just about bearable!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Glad to see you're focused on priorities (getting some cool footage for the blog) rather than less impt things like, say, keeping both hands on the steering wheel. Or was Cousteau filming that?