Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Lobo Peak 12,115’


Cousteau and I decided to bite off a bit more than we could chew Tuesday morning. On the way up to Taos Ski Valley there is a hiking trail that I have wanted to try for some time. It takes you up to Lobo Peak, which you can actually see from my sister and brother-in-law’s house. Well, let me tell you, it was a bit harder than I had expected. The beginning is quite fun with lots of traversing a small stream that flows into the Arroyo Hondo. C had a blast bounding across areas that I wished I could jump and running through the shallow areas trying to help me find the right rocks to jump. He even came across some kind of game bird and went into the most rigid point that I have ever seen. Finally with too much excitement built up, he chased them for a bit and then we headed on.
hiking and a lot of “UP”, we finally reached a beautiful alpine meadow. From here I could see the top of The trail then went through several different environments and ecosystems, some quite lush and dense with thick green, flowering plants while others dry and rocky. This mostly seemed to relate to the amount of sun that reached the spot and how close to the stream we were. We hiked up through the shade pine forest and wandered underneath aspen trees shimmering in the breeze. After 2 hours ofthe peak some 800 ft – 1000 ft higher. Since my legs were already shot, I decided it better to rest in the meadow and then return back down the mountain. All in all, it was a fun hike and C had a great time. My legs have been very sore even after a soak in the hot tub!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Bravo for you and your NM hiking guide! Looks like a Gr8 hike!! Googled that Lobo Peak is at 12,115 feet and that its the highest point in the range of mountains between the Rio Hondo and the Red River. Views from the top must be spectacular! Get some good rest and good luck tomorrow!! Where is the next stop?